Sutton Council is proposing some road closures without pre-consultation to secure TfL funding. Decision on the proposals are being made by the Council not the Mayor of London. It is clear that some of the road closures are not thought through as the lack of consultation is showing. Below is an update on where things are. Do let us know if you have any other information:
Worcester Park and Stonecot
- Worcester Park – (Browning Avenue closure, between Dorchester Rd Junction and Roundabout, and Lincoln Road becoming one way from Longfellow to Green Lane). There has been a petition here https://www.change.org/p/sutton-council-stop-the-closure-of-part-of-ruskin-drive-browning-avenue-in-worcester-park? Local Labour members have written to the Council and the important issues raised were covered in the local papers here https://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news/18672462.thousands-fight-u-turn-ruskin-drive-proposal/
- Worcester Park – Railway Bridge Road Cones. aka #Conegate. Local Labour members have also been heavily involved in this campaign and we are pleased to report the Council has backed off on this issue https://twitter.com/WPLabour/status/1301609033720365060
- Nonsuch (Esher Ave/Wrayfield Road junction). There is now a petition here: https://www.change.org/p/transport-for-london-stop-the-road-closure-between-esher-avenue-wrayfield-road? We have been talking to local residents in the surrounding roads to see how strong opposition is to this
- Benhill Avenue and Benhill Wood Road area – up to 4 possible road closures – this is still being investigated
- Sutton North ward (All Saints/ Grennell/ Benhill & Oakhill Junction/ Oakhill & Elgin Junction) + a 20mph zone
South Sutton and Belmont
- Sutton South/Carshalton Central ward (Kings Lane Bridge) closure and 20mph zones in Sutton South Ward.
- There may be a proposal for Homeland Drive on Shanklin estate, but that is currently not listed as a proposal
Outside our constituency there also looks to be a big issue over a road closure at Butter Hill in Wallington.
We have carried on gathering information, have template letters for those campaigning on this and have the option of running a car convoy protest if local people request it. Email our Vice-Chair Gerry Tasker if another area is being impacted firstname.lastname@example.org